Saturday, August 4, 2007

Week 7: Wikis

Wikipedia has not always been my choice to use for research either at the information desk or in AskUsNow. Too many people are able to add items whether they are correct or not. Having said that I find that wikis are useful. This section on Wikis introduced me to new uses by libraries and librarians for a Wiki. Wikis are simple to use (you do not have to sign up for a web design class), and anyone is able to add their information. You can link pages in a relatively easy manner thereby expanding the information you are giving. The potential use for wikis in libraries is tremendous. I can see librarians using wikis for readers'advisory list, book discussions, specific web pages e.g. Business resources. I was particularly impressed with the Ohio University Biz Whiz and think our SBIC should have a wiki that would be available to the public.

No comments: